Content font size:defaultlargeoversized

Paragraph Settings:Period of the first indentCancel the first indent

The font Settings:Switch to the Microsoft blackSwitch to the song typeface

Home > FIFA >

Sepp Blatter says North American 2026 World Cup bid afraid o

2018-03-12 15:17 provenance:未知 sentiment: comments(0

Does Joel Obis Super Eagles lifeline come too late?

With 100 days to go until the FIFA World Cup, Ian Darke joins a group of ESPN writers and experts for a roundtable discussion about what to expect in Russia this summer.

100 days out: Predicting Englands World Cup squad

They have put all the three together in order to show that it is a combined organisation. They should have taken the decision at that time [of the World Cup exit], Blatter said. The USA is big and the decisions are not always easy to understand.

Nigeria: Preparations serene with World Cup 100 days away

I was in vour of the U.S. for 2022. To say now they must have 2026... he said, pausing to add: History will show if its right or wrong.

Blatter said the U.S. teams ilure to qualify for this years World Cup -- which led to Gulati not seeking re-election as U.S. federation president -- complicated the leadership issue. The bid calls for the United States to host 60 of 80 games in 2026, with Canada and Mexico hosting 10 each.

Last May, the three co-hosts pushed FIFA to give them preferential status before Morocco joined the contest by an August deadline with little bid structure in place.

Both bids will formally submit plans next week. A FIFA-appointed panel will then evaluate the candidates and publicly score them for potential organizational and commercial risks.

Sepp Blatter: North American 2026 World Cup bid afraid of losing

Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter says the North American bid to host the 2026 World Cup now seems afraid of losing to Morocco.

Should the Super Eagles be worried for the World Cup?

Still, Blatter declined to fully endorse Moroccos ability to host a 48-team tournament alone. The 2026 edition will have the 16 extra teams wanted by Blatter successor Gianni Inntino, who supports multi-nation bids.

Though Blatter says he voted for the United States bid that lost to Qatar for the 2022 hosting rights, he said that doesnt mean the country deserves to get the 2026 edition.

The reshuffle reduced the role of previous bid chairman Sunil Gulati, the most senior American in FIFA who served on the world governing bodys executive committee under Blatter.

They give the impression that they are not any longer very sure that they will win, thats my impression, Blatter said on Thursday. But I dont know why they are afraid.

Blatter acknowledged he once thought the 2026 contest was a decision that was taken in vour of North America.

Last month,Blatter wrote on Twitterthat Morocco was the logical host of the 2026 tournament. FIFA preferred single-nation World Cup hosts under Blatters leadership.

I dont know if the Moroccans are able to organize a World Cup of 48, Blatter told invited reporters at a briefing in Zurich related to his own legal issues.

Achange in strategy this weekgave the leaders of the U.S, Canada and Mexico federations equal status in a bid that has been heavily voured to win the hosting rights on June 13 in Moscow.

The Swiss official has long blamed an executive committee vote in December 2010 that picked Russia and Qatar as future World Cup hosts for sparking American and Swiss federal investigations of FIFA officials that ultimately forced him from office.

Valderrama will cut hair if Colombia win World Cup

Multiple high-ranking executives within FIFA and the continental confederationstold ESPN last monththat some estimates have Morocco not just threatening the North American bid but actually beating it, and Blatter said the changes was proof that the bid is uncertain.

Two days ahead of his 82nd birthday, Blatter said he was a happy man. He is still seeking to challenge a six-year ban from football for unethical conduct, a punishment that followed Swiss federal prosecutors opening criminal proceedings against him in September 2015. He has yet to be charged.

Use aFacebook accountto add a comment, subject to FacebooksTerms of ServiceandPrivacy Policy.Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPNs media platforms.Learn more.

Qatar WC labourers need urgent attention - audit

label: FIFA

Related articles